Hello and welcome to the blog’s live coverage of Oakland Roots hosting Miami FC at Cal State University East Bay’s Pioneer Stadium in Hayward. Roots enter the night on a three-game skid and have lost their last two games in the USL Championship at 2-1-3, while Miami FC is currently sixth in the Eastern Conference at 1-4-2.
Miami FC is coming off of a narrow defeat in the U.S. Open Cup against Inter Miami, falling 5-3 in penalty kicks. They trounced Las Vegas Light’s 4-1 most recently, but it has marked their only win throughout April after drawing 0-0 with Detroit, losing 2-0 to Tampa Bay, and drew 1-1 with Memphis.
Bloom’s match preview returned this week, where he highlighted Miami’s recent win over Las Vegas and why it shouldn’t be overblown as a magnificent result. He also named Claudio Repetto, Joaquin Rivas, and Paco Craig as his players to watch.
Miami scored in the 6th and 8th minutes and in both instances the Lights’ defense was just sorta standing around watching. Miami got a third on a penalty and a fourth intercepting a wholly inept backpass. This match might have given Miami confidence, but I have never seen the Roots’ defense play as badly as Lights’ defense played in this match. Obviously it could happen, but this was not a USL Championship-level performance from Lights.
RootsBlog Man of the Match: Paul & Barbir
We named Paul Blanchette and Danny Barbir as our two RootsBlog Man of the Match recipients for keeping the clean sheet. Paul made 3 saves with 2 by dives. Barbir finished with a 7.7 Fotmob rating and won six ground duels. He was a big part of the defensive day.
Blanchette also gave my nephew his jersey for his birthday. He’s RootsBlog’s forever MOTM.
- It felt like a goal was coming in the second half but the offense seriously needs to get going. They finished witg 14 shots after going into the half with 5 attempts, but only finished with 2 shots on target. It marks the 4th game in a row with 2 or less shots on target and also the 4th consecutive match without a goal from open play.
- Was nice to see Edgardo Rito play up higher, but I’m not sure if we continue seeing him there. It seemed more like an answer to the amount of players on short rest rather than a new wrinkle. But I do like Rito going forward, this team will need him to continue being a factor to re-find success.
- Lack of center forward depth is really impacting how the team operates. With Johnny and Anuar on short rest, Formella was forced to start his 3rd match in a week. It shows how Delgado doesn’t have a lot of options to work with.
- Roots deserve praise for a solid defensive night. Miami didnt have a shot until the second half and had all 7 attempts in the latter 45 minutes. A clean sheet is a clean sheet, and Roots will take a point.
- Oakland Roots Starting 11
A very different starting 11 for Oakland Roots. With Johnny out and Anuar on short rest, Darek Formella starts in the 9-role. It marks his 3rd consecutive start. Lindo moves to the left with Edgardo Rito pushing up to right wing. Tamacas backs him up at RWB, while a veteran midfield of Nane and Napo look to lock things down.
- Miami FC Starting 11
Gametime! Can Oakland Roots get back in the win column against the Easter Conference side? Refresh and Scroll down for all of the latest updates.
Tamacas longshot wide – 3′
Miami corner – 10′
Roots corner – 11′
Rito draws. Should’ve been fed much sooner, Miami had back line in Oakland’s end.
Emrah header sails.
Roots corner – 13′
Barbir shot takes deflection off defender.
Cleared. Roots try to keep in, Memo cross cleared out.
Miami free kick in good area – 17′
Foul on Hackshaw. Shapes up for a long ball in. Claimed by Paul.
Miami corner – 25′
Play into the box, Memo sends it out. Paul claim.
Roots corner – 27′
Roots free kick about 25 yards above area – 32′
Hackshaw there for the second ball, skies his shot.
First half notes:
Nothing challenging for either side. Roots trying to make a lot of inverting runs in the center of the park between Rito and Formella but nothing making clear looks thus far. Oakland has 5 shots, 1 on target, and 3 corners. Miami hasn’t taken a shot.
Rito play to Memo in front of net, touch goes wide – 48′
Roots want a handball after Lindo shot. Memo sends ball high – 49′
Roots corner – 53′
Ball falls to Irakoze, who subbed on at half. Shot blocked.
Miami shot on target from distance, easy. – 59′
Paul HUGE save – 65′
Miami keeps ball in attacking zone for long duration, shot from top of the box leads to leeping save by Paul.
Miami corner goes out – 65′
Roots blocked in front of net again – 68′
Barbir blocked after a shot by Formella falls to him.
Paul another diving save – 71′
Miami shot from distance.
Napo shot wide – 72′
Tamacas blocked – 74′
Lindo shot high – 79′
Inside the box but an odd angle.
Miami’s Valot strikes crossbar – 81′
Pelaez subs on – 83
Miami free kick – 85′
Distance to send in a long pass from right side.
Foul on Miami
Big block to stop a counter by Hackshaw – 88′
Roots free kick left side. Pelaez tries to find it on volley, skies it – 90′
Miami free kick – stoppage